Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving Thanks!

On my walk with Cody in the misty rain, I thought I would use this peaceful morning to update my blog. Time has a way of slipping away. Someone once said as we age time increases exponentially. I have to admit as I watch my face change with the years that puts a wee bit of fear in my heart, but I remember this quote posted on a friend’s FB wall, Age may wrinkle the face, but lack of enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.


I have been in awe and moved by the amount of gratitude being expressed on Facebook and Twitter. Perhaps this was there last year and I don’t remember or perhaps this year people are more in touch how much there is to be thankful for in this life. I have spent time volunteering with Sisters of the Road and the Oregon Food Bank, which has really driven home how thankful I am for what I have. The opportunity to volunteer there has provided fantastic perspective as I realize most of us are only one disaster away from homelessness -we just don’t acknowledge it. Both organizations’ mission is to eradicate poverty and hunger. I hope that can happen, but in the meantime that is part of my purpose in this life to do what I can to to be a part of the belief.


This Thanksgiving, I want to express how very thankful I am for all who are in my life or who have been in my life. I truly believe people move in and out of one’s life purposefully. Sometimes people show up to help you grow or view the world with a different lens, then they move on. Some people are in your life for a long time and the richness of their presence grows even though at times you have to step back a bit to see that because the tendency is to take these people for granted.


I am still in shock that 2010 is almost here, I can remember like it was yesterday writing my intentions for 2009. The last eight months have moved like a speeding train with change, healing, and transition as the coal. I knew in 2008 I wanted to move west, but had no idea how that was going to happen and quite honestly was scared to leave the familiar. Even though the familiar wasn’t working anymore. However, in 2009 things started to shift and I was presented with the opportunity to move. Despite that decision led to another painful decision, the time to move west had come. I had no idea all that came with those decisions.


Well, my personal transitions and realizations are not what I intended to write about so I will summarize. I am settling into Portland, I still feel a little lost some days as so much is still not familiar, but I am finding my groove. I didn’t realize how much rural life had permeated my lens of the world. After seven years of a quiet bucolic life, I was a bit fearful of certain aspects of the city. Mostly fear I created myself vs. reality. Oh, and, I am still subtracting three hours when I think of California, but perhaps that is age surfacing. So on this day as everyone is pausing to give thanks, I want to put forth my thanks to all who are in my life.


Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today, and creates a vision for tomorrow.-Melody Beattie


A funny quote- GOD bless the optimists, something I will never be.

"An optimist is a person who starts a new diet on Thanksgiving Day."

-Irv Kupcinet

No comments:

Post a Comment