Thursday, June 4, 2009

Another time zone down!

I am sitting here in Colorado watching the sun set. Beautiful sky! I only drove 500 miles today and got to the hotel at a decent hour.

I started my drive out of Kansas City, KS on a detour Tom Tom calculated to avoid the toll roads. I believe it was 10W or 40W. The song that came to mind was Shiny Happy People because it was so bright and yellow! No sunflowers though. The Walmart had a sunflower symbol - very pretty. The music I was actually listening to was Engima. I needed something calming this morning.
Unfortunately, there were more rumble strips. Cody almost ended up in my lap, but settled for his head on my shoulder. Poor guy he is starting to look really tired.
The greens on this drive have been amazing. The two pictures (the one the left and Cody) were taken at a rest area after a nice lunch break. I bought the best Pico De Gallo in Kansas City, YUM!!!! No frozen custard, but I enjoyed that salsa. Enjoying it now! I met a traveler at the rest area who used to stop in WRJ, VT when John Deer was there.

Today was more peaceful than yesterday and mostly a day of reflection and collecting a lot of bugs on my windshield. I listened to a lot of Pema Chodron. I enjoyed Kansas more than Indiana, Illinois & Missouri. It was flat, but it was so intensely bright and the greens and yellows were so vibrant! At one point I crossed my legs and cranked Marvin Gaye. Love that music! Nothing like Motown! Let's just say it is a good thing I had the road to myself.

I got off at Victoria, KS to see the Historic Cathedral of the Plains. It is one of the 8 Wonders of Kansas, per the town signs. Yeah, could have skipped it!


This picture was taken out of SHEER boredom!!!








One little mishap about two hundred miles in...I was trying to get comfortable or least as comfortable as possible having been in the same position for five days. Anyway, I hit the key with my knee - shut the engine right off. Who knew! Kinda dangerous going 75 MPH. Fortunately, me, myself, and I were the only ones on 70W in Kansas so I pulled over and restarted.
I am staying at an Econo Lodge at a truck stop area in the middle of nowhere in Colorado just outside Kansas. I drove in under the rainbow listening to Patsy Cline. It was great to see fellow travelers parked in the lot. I was settling into my room and looked out the window to see a storm watcher crew driving up. I was so excited. Straight out of the movie, Twister! There were two jeeps and the vans with all the equipment on the roof. Very COOL!!

See my photo album for more photos (including the jeeps).
Journey west!
Highlights, playlist, and license plate game:
I was bored so I started writing down license plates. Colorado, Kansas, & Missouri were eliminated from my little game.
Plates: Indiana, Oregon, Illinois, New York, Iowa, Oklahoma, Virginia, & California. IN & VA were the only repeats. There were very few cars out today. Lots of truckers.
  • Very large sign, Abortion kills what GOD created. Amusing that Marvin Gaye's, "What's Going On" was blaring as I whizzed by.
  • If you die today, where will you spend ETERNITY? One would think I would jump at a chance to reflect on that question given I had nothing but time. I didn't though.
  • JESUS! I trust you. A very large picture of Jesus

Playlist: I brought a huge box of old tapes that I am slowly throwing out as I go.
Engima, Marvin Gaye, U2, Toad the Wet Sprocket, Patsy Cline, & Melissa Ethridge.

5 comments:

  1. Can you just keep driving around the US? Every morning I check in to see where you are, my own version of "Where's Waldo?" Probably better titled as Donde esta Debbie? - with apologies for any spanish mistakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I laughed the hardest today!!!!!
    What a collection of music for day 5. It is Friday. I know time seems irrelevant but you start WORK on Monday!!!! Aw, what the heck they can't fire you on your first day. Can they? TOM TOM malfunction??? We miss you, Krista

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are having a blast reading your blog. It's very fun, like we are there with you. You better get moving though if you're going to be ready for work on Monday.
    susanna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the photo of Cody in the field, in front of the truck. I'd be wondering WHY? is the Storm Tracker crowd in the area...Oregon had a wild thunderstrom roll through - tornado watches in some areas and all. You'll be glad to know the weather is supposed to be sunnier and in the 70's next week. Looking forward to seeing you when you get here. - Dai

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was hoping there was a tornado! I would have asked to join them! ;-) There was a tornado today in Wyoming. I saw it on the news tonight - not sure where it was in relation to where I am at.

    ReplyDelete