Wednesday, June 3, 2009

What day is it?

It is just another day! I woke up not knowing the date or day. The days are beginning to blur! I feel fortunate, I have such freedom. I started my day driving around AGAIN in Lexington, KY. I am convinced the red lights are the longest EVER! I left Lexington the same way I came in - in the middle of a thunderstorm. I headed out on 64W, which I think is part of the Kentucky Bourbon Trail. I did see a lot of signs for distilleries.

Taken on 62W in Indiana
I got off 64W when I hit Indiana and linked up with 62W, which is part of the Lincoln Heritage Trail. I cut across Indiana with all windows open and Oingo Boingo blaring! Indiana is FLAT. The drive started out with HUGE home developments. The homes were HUGE (did I mention that). I assume the space they occupied was once farmland. Indiana reminded me of Farmtown on Facebook. Of course, Farmtown doesn't have the smells I experienced today. After about 20 miles the scenery changed to lush green trees acting as a canopy over the road. Cody & I took a respite at an abandoned park, Wyandotte Caves. I let him off leash to run and run he did!

Today was basically logging miles. I started in Kentucky, crossed Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, changed time zones, and am now resting in Kansas City, KS for the night. Things are getting tight with Cody after four days. Those who know me, know I need my space. This need is getting challenged by the fact my dog is about 2" from me at all times. He won't let me leave him in the hotel room without raising a ruckus! Lesson learned from today - no more lunching in the car. This does not work with him so close. I am going back to grocery stores and eating at rest areas. I already scoped out a grocery store for tomorrow. Boredom hit full force today the midwest is FLAT with lots and lots of farm land. I think even Cody was bored as I caught him ACTUALLY napping a few times. Missouri got interesting with St. Louis traffic and then that turned to billboards, box buildings, and more farmland.
The big excitement for the day was watching my windshield wipers disengrate during a rain storm. My friend Chris had told me they need replacing months ago. Well, today was the day. I saw an exit lined with auto dealers in Fallon, IL and assumed there must be an Auto Zone within a mile! There WAS!!! The guy was nice enough to replace them for me and I was on the road again! I think that is all I remember about IL. Oh yeah, more rain!

Oh, the close of my evening was interesting. I was at a Days Inn waiting to check-in. The front desk girl was on the phone having a lengthy discussion about how she wasn't mad at so and so for his schedule. I paced bit and finally asked her how long she might be. She covered the phone and said, "I am on the phone with my boss." On that note, being thoroughly fried for the day, I turned around and walked out. I wonder if her boss knew she lost a customer while they discussed the trials and tribulations of schedules. I parked down the street to see what Tom Tom had to offer when two black guys pulled up next to me stereo booming and giving me cheesy grins and saying something to me. I have no idea what or if they were just goofing around or what, but after a full day of driving I was in no mood for cheeky boys! :-) I put it in reverse and drove back into downtown Kansas City and am staying at the Best Western. It worked out perfectly as there is a Taqueria next door!


I caught him napping in Indiana!

Yes, after 400 miles this is an interesting shot!

More photos:
http://picasaweb.google.com/dduncan1013/JourneyWest?feat=directlink

Highlights and random thoughts:
  • Listened to a lot of eighties tunes today. Whatever happened to Milli Vanilli? Didn't one of them commit suicide?
  • Louisville, KY reminded me of Portland - lots bridges
  • Saw this on the Ohio River in Louisville: Joe knows crabs!
  • Sign for chewing tobacco on 62W in Indiana: "Treat yourself to the best" Should add -make sure you have health insurance!
  • Girl (very rough looking)riding a white scooter smoking a cigarrette. Surely, that is song worthy.
  • A man on a Harley in the pouring rain chewing on a cigar. GOOD STUFF!!
  • Frozen custard stores. Is this any good? There are a lot of them!
  • I haven't seen a VT plate since I left VT. Come to think of it I haven't seen a NE plate since I left.

4 comments:

  1. Get a frozen custard - it's like rich ice cream -- but the mideast is known for them!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frozen custard, oh yeah, gotta get come of that.

    I did well on Finance, I got an A, woohoo. I started Strategic Management on Tues, then I have Payment Systems. November 23, 2009, last day. I should make a bumper sticker, like the one for Bush's last day.

    Are you taking the Scenic route all the way across, you should be there by now!!!!???

    ReplyDelete
  3. In one day you got Bourbon, Frozen custard, and Taquiera's!!!! I am all about the food! What's Taquiera's? Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heyyyyy GF, just catching on to this blog thing and reading of your travels till this point...
    So glad to see you are taking your time, enjoying the scenery ( good call on passing up the gigantic cross) and capturing all your thoughts along the way...
    we miss you here.....but each morning Sus, Krista and I feel like we are riding in the back seat right along with you, laffin, that road trip would put Thelma and Louise to shame!!
    safe travels, much love
    dj

    ReplyDelete