Saturday, June 20, 2009

Two weeks already???

I received numerous requests to continue the blog. My current situation is sans internet, but I am spending time at a friend's today so thought I would take the opportunity to write an update. I can hardly believe it has been two weeks since I arrived in Portland. I still get a little jittery when I go over a rumble strip and I have a missing ache that surfaces time to time. I am glad to be surrounded again by such diversity. However, the homelessness, which includes children begging for money has been unsettling.

Cody is acclimating faster than I am. Of course, he is spoiled with lots of attention. He did stun my nephew with one big lick. Poor little guy probably thought he was drowning. Hopefully, he will get used to Cody soon enough, but for now is scared of Cody.

The craziest thing I have seen thus far is at the place I took Cody for a much needed bath. A man, yes, a man was there with a very little dog that was fuchsia! I kid you not! Fuchsia with a pearl necklace collar! OHHHHHHH I wish I had my camera, but really I couldn't make this up!

The movers arrived the following Saturday of my arrival. A fairly uneventful day other than the fact my storage unit had a pool of water in it! UGH!

The new job
Fortunately the first day I worked a half day so I could take care of life. Thus far, Monday was my hardest day. I arrived on a Sunday night and the next day I was at a new job. I don't recommend this! I came from slow paced VT where everything was familiar to the hustle and bustle of a city where nothing and no one was familiar. Work feels like landing in a foreign
country! I stepped off the plane, people are speaking to me, I am reading the signs, but there is no comprehension. I understand some words, but not the context. My mind is scrambling to adjust. Everything takes double the time. How do I use this new fancy TREO mobile work phone!? I need to learn to spell psychiatrist (I work in the mental health department). Where do I park? Where is my car (this is true I couldn't find my car one day)? How do I get to CPK? What does that stand for? Where do I eat?
Picture is my new office building

The Weather
The average temp has been around 65 maybe a few 70 degree days, but the air
is cranked in most buildings so I still dress for winter! The moisture in the air causes my hair to resemble one of those troll dolls! Yeah, quite a fright until I figured out the right product mix! Yesterday two Oregonians said to me thank God it is raining today, it has been dry. I am very confused by this because personally, I am still waiting to see the sun because everyday since I arrived it has drizzled and the sun is hidden by cloud cover. I believe I saw it for 30 minutes one day. So, I am not sure what do with that comment other than it is another reminder that Oregonians LOVE their rain. Two days without a good down pour and by GOD we are in a drought!

Getting around
I think or say out loud frequently, "where the hell am I!?" I have developed a dependence on Tom Tom that at some point I am going to need to break. I can't find my way two blocks without it! When the GPS signal fades, I have a mild panic attack! I have to laugh, given I have found my way around many a foreign country without the aid of a GPS device, but the thought of navigating Portland without the voice of Tom Tom puts me into frozen panic like a deer in the headlights! "OH NO! What do I do now!?" The one thing I forgot about the NW is everyone uses compass directions! It makes me nuts! When someone tells me to go north, well, which way is that!? They ask me is that north or south of 82nd? I DON'T KNOW!! It is the same at work, "my office is in the NE corner." Um, ok I will walk around until I find it then I will know what corner is NE! Do people have internal compasses? Of course, I will probably be doing the same thing in six months.

I can't drive 55!
The speed limit here is maddening!!! It is 55 (if not lower) and most drive 45! The California driver in me just can't handle it. Although, Oregonians are the politest bunch of drivers! Thank goodness I still have VT plates because I have pulled some stunts sometimes to get ahead and sometimes because I don't know where I am! I think I scared my mom last night as I made a few u-turns. I didn't see a sign saying I couldn't.


Finding a place to live!
It is nice to be able to stay with my mom, but I am ready for my own space. Plus, I am suffering from Internet withdrawal and the need for my own routine and space! Life out of a suitcase gets old quickly when I am not outside the United States!

My first weekend, I spent two full days apartment hunting. That was a sobering experience. It is hard transitioning from owning to renting. I saw a lot of dumps and a few possibilities with the help of lots of chemicals. Well, the little bungalow I have always dreamed about showed up! The downside is the neighborhood is a little on the edge. The main issue is prostitution about four blocks away. When I consider the alternative of going back to hearing my neighbors or living in a very run down place, I think I am ok with prostitution four blocks away. I am sure they will keep to their area. The couple who is renting it will be back next year. This will give me some time to think about where I want to be and to see what happens to the market, which will determine if I can sell my condo.

Basically two weeks out I am still a bit in limbo, but am transitioning. I am trying to stay present, but at the same time look forward to having my own space.

Bumper sticker: Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you - GOD.

6 comments:

  1. Welcome Welcome Welcome!! I'm so excited you're here!

    Rain - not everyone loves it, but we do appreciate it when mother nature takes care of the irrigation so that we can conserve water. We're fanatics about conserving our resources - heck, I harvest rainwater at work (the building I manage is LEED Platinum certified) and use it for irrigation, toilets, and in the boilers & chillers. I harvest daylight, too, both for lighting in the building and photovoltaic panels on the south side :) Fanatics.

    Speed limit - I have noticed that in OR, too! We drive faster in WA, but for whatever reason, the right hand lane is often faster rather than the left - it's a weird Washingtonian thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in a red light district once. It's actually very safe. The johns keep a low profile as do the working girls. The pimps try to keep the neighborhoods pretty quiet, so all in all, it tends to be fairly safe.
    Sounds like you have some settling in trouble, but it's always anxious in the beginning. It's hard to go from extremes, extreme rural to extreme urban and visa versa.
    Hang in there, nice to hear from you!
    susanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so psyched to see the latest installment! I think that a second job just 4 blocks away helps the Oregonian way of conserving energy and reducing commute time!!
    It's been rainy and cool here. Today's supposed to be in the mid seventies and the sun is mostly out. It's rained every day for the last 6! Good luck and keep us updated!! Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. heyyyy sunshine!
    miss you around here, however glad to know you are settling in and adjusting*s
    keep the blogs coming, I am living vicariously !
    love ya!
    dj

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey there.. glad to hear things are settling in! Congrats on finding a place to live and thing of the added benefit to a 2nd job if things get a little tight. Do you think it's like on Pretty Woman - you might need to negotiate a block or two!?
    Can't wait to visit and bring some rural life into the city:)
    I hope you find the right niche with Mental Health... it's got to be up from Ortho!
    Love the update - talk soon! - CAROLINE

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I am too old for it to be like Pretty Woman, but if it means meeting my Richard Gere like Prince - sign me up!!

    ReplyDelete