Saturday, June 6, 2009

Get behind the wheel & drive!

The hotel I stayed at in Lander, WY was SUPER quiet so Cody finally came off guard duty and relaxed and slept! Ahhhhhhhh.


After loading the car fighting a very strong wind, I drove out of Lander, WY listening to Car Talk, which was playing a snippet of a song with lyrics, "get behind the wheel and drive." I had to laugh.

I passed Sacajawea's grave site driving through Fort Washakie.


Not long after I started to ascend Togwotee Pass the snow on side of the road increased and the rain changed to a wintry mix. I started seeing storm ready signs along the side of the road. I was pondering if I could make two suitcases of summer clothes storm ready if I needed, when I passed a van on the side of the road and a policeman signaling for people to slow down. The driver of the van was standing on the side of the road in shorts and t-shirt. The policeman was wearing a winter jacket and a hat. Given my temperature gauge was reading 34 degrees, I am thinking the policeman wins the appropriately dressed for conditions award. Although, I am sure the van driver had no intent of ending up in the ditch near the top of the Pass. I crossed the Continental Divide at 9,658 ft. About this time I should have had a breathtaking view of the Tetons, but, alas, the majestic mountains were hiding behind the clouds. Coming down was more construction! Fortunately for Cody - no rumble strips, just a long a line of cars. Cody had his head out the window the whole time. Of course, this time, I had the heat cranked and his window open. Ah, again, the things I do for that dog!

As I was driving through the Park making my way to Jackson, WY a Buffalo and her baby ran across the road. I about peed myself I was so excited!! I was hoping to get a picture, but they had disappeared into the woods.

After driving through Jackson, WY, which resembles NOTHING of what I remember as a kid, I made my way up and over the Teton Pass (Hwy 22). I have to add this description of Jackson from a friend of mine, "it is like disney land for high rollers." YUP that sums it up!

I didn't stop a lot this trip as it was rainy or snowy and cold. I made it to Boise around 7:30 p.m. and am staying in a VERY NICE hotel that I believe is cheaper than some of the not so nice places I have stayed. Another quiet night! Tonight was Cody's first time on an elevator. I have never seen a dog flatten himself the way he did when the elevator started to move. I have seen a cat do it, but not an 80 pound Golden!




Tomorrow I head to West Linn, OR to start a new chapter in my life! The new job starts Monday and house/apartment hunting the following weekend. It has been a great drive west! I am so glad I did it!!

For more photos click on the Journey west link. I will post more once I get internet access again!

Thanks for reading!! It was such a great way for me to capture my travels!

Highlights and playlist:
  • Be Bear Aware. Food Storage Required.
  • Potato Museum. How exciting! I didn't stop, but this rates up there with the Salt Mines in Nova Scotia.
  • Bibles at Cost.
  • Drove through Idaho Falls. I lived there for 3 years, 8-11. I am glad we didn't stay. An interesting town. I did have a Starbucks at the Fred Meyers.

I didn't listen to a lot of music today. Mostly Pema talks and silence. I liked the silence as I was going over the mountain passes.
Tears for Fears, BB King, Replacements, Eric Clapton, & k.d. lang

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to miss looking at this blog every morning. Keep going with your first few days at the new job. Your trip seemed very worthwhile, I'm glad you took the long way. I feel like I've seen the country myself.
    Good Luck Deb, we'll miss you.

    PS. Buffalo move at about 2 miles per hour, how did you not get a picture!!!!!
    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where's Sunday's blog?? I am going to into withdrawal!!!! Can you blog your job with pictures and all?? Where can we go next?? I have concerns about your ability to photograph animals. First the bears then the Buffalo!! I agree with Susanna!! Good luck! Krista

    ReplyDelete