Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Come a long way!

Pictures to come another time. Painfully slow internet connection tonight and I am pooped! (PICTURES HAVE BEEN ADDED! FOR MORE CLICK THE LINK BELOW)



That was my theme song for the day. It is a great song by Michelle Shocked. It is about driving through Los Angeles, but that didn't prevent me from replaying it several times. I started on 64W, but by the time I reached White Sulphur Springs, WVA, I had enough so I shut the Tom Tom off and took a detour on 60W also known as the Midland Byway. A much better way to explore W. Virginia. The first half was green farm fields. I really enjoyed Virgina & W. Virginia. Eventually the green fields were replaced with small towns (some former coal mining towns) lined with American flags and a few POW and Confederate flags popping up from time to time. I passed a Baptist Church about every 5 miles!


The high temperature was 95. I had the air conditioning cranked to minimize Cody's panting as after a few hours it starts to irritate me considering he is standing with his head next to mine the entire trip. At one point I had to stop for a Starbucks coffee to warm up! The the things I do for that dog!
I got back on 64W in Charleston, WVA and stayed on long enough to get to Kentucky to see the oil refinery Caroline had told me about. I then made my way back to 60W and ended up driving through a major thunderstorm. I never believed in golf ball size hail until I saw it for myself. I thought one of them was going to come through the windshield. After a full day of driving, I am in Lexington, KY. I attempted to trust Tom Tom to find a restaurant. Yeah, that did not work out too well. An important note when in a strange town make sure you have the hotel address with you, if you venture out relying on a GPS machine! Let's just say I had a longer night driving around than anticipated as my hotel was not in the Tom Tom database!

Highlights
Orthopaedic advertisement: So good you feel it in your bones.

Freewill Baptist Church. I don't know much about Baptists, but I always associated it with having actions and consequences laid out not free will.

Dehart's Bible & Tire. I saw the tires, but not the bibles.

A gas station with a tanning bed.

Mystery Hole

Gauley River – The falls and park

Carter Caves State Park

6 comments:

  1. Love the highlights... My parents are driving from AZ to PA - they ended up in IN today and they hit the same bad weather -- hail and all!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good you feel it in your bones...hmmmmm? When does that happen, probably not to the people that work there!!!
    susanna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can actually see you saying it when I read your blog! "What I do for that dog!" Can't wait to hear about todays journey! Are you sure you can't drive to Alaska, I'd like to hear a longer story. Drive safe
    Krista

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - it's been a while since I made that trek to Lexington where I did Grad School. How great is it driving through the countryside and then over a hill and BAM Nasty oil refinery!
    Hope you enjoyed the sleepy town of Lexington. Couldn't have remembered a decent restaurant even if you asked - 10 years is a lot of name changes:) Happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the part about stopping at starbucks to get coffee to warm up due to keeping the vehicle super cooled for Cody!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you figured out that it was me... but I'm 900pm Anonymous:) - CAROLINE

    ReplyDelete