Friday, June 5, 2009

The Wild West - where's Buffalo Bill?

After a very weak cup of motel coffee, I was jonesing for a biggie Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee. I haven't seen a Dunkin' Donuts in a thousand plus miles! I was hoping Tom Tom could direct me to a DD or a Starbucks. NO LUCK! I was truly in the middle of nowhere so I sucked it up, started the car, and headed west on 70 with a slight coffee headache listening to "The Wanderer" by Johnny Cash.
Within a few hours I was navigating Denver traffic when I suddenly noticed the Rocky Mountains to my left. It looked like a mirage thanks to Denver's brown cloud. I can only imagine what Lewis & Clark thought when they saw the Rockies not veiled by pollution. At any rate, I was thrilled to see snow capped mountains again!! I was climbing elevation! Denver is 5,280 ft. Of course, I still had a slight headache and coffee had been on my mind most of the drive. I searched Tom Tom for the nearest Starbucks. Ok, so I didn't exactly go to the closest or easiest one, but I left Denver with a mocha.

Next stop was the Summit Rest Area right before Laramie, WY. It is the highest point on 80W- 8,640 ft. Not to mention it has an historic monument, the Abraham Lincoln Memorial Monument.
After Laramie, more construction. YUP, more rumble strips. I think Cody is starting to recognize the orange cones and flags as he starts getting ansy when he sees them. Do dogs get ulcers?

I talked to my dad who suggested I head north to drive through Jackson Hole vs. staying on 80. It sounded good to me. I was wearing thin of truckers and construction. I had to pay attention!
I stopped in Rawlins, WY, the gateway to the Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Teton National Park, before heading north on 287. The McDonald's employees were a melting pot of cultures. Who would have suspected in Wyoming! I also took the below picture in the parking lot! Love Wyoming!

I lost cell service about 10 miles out of Rawlins and haven't had it back since. And, to think I complained about cell service in Vermont! I had to stop at a gas station in 3 Forks Muddy Gap to use the phone, with a donation to the tip jar, to make a motel reservation. I figured it was the wise thing to do on a Friday since there are limited places that take dogs. It was an interesting place. There was writing on the walls and ceilings. It was the only service station I passed in 80 miles. Thank GOD I filled up in Rawlins .

I wished the wind showed up in a photograph! The wind was intense!
I learned later there were tornadoes in WY - not sure where though. Where were my storm watchers!? I would love to spend a day with them!













The drive into Lander, WY was amazing. Prairie grass covered hills with splashes of yellow and snow capped mountains in the background.

I feel in between places, what the Tibetans call the bardo. I am uncertain about what awaits in Portland and leaving VT was hard, but being back in the west, in the mountains, feels right.

I ended the evening with a walk around Lander with Cody admiring the surrounding mountains.


Highlights and playlist:
There were very few billboards this drive - nothing like Kansas where they were endless.
  • No one thinks they will tear off their own skin. Meth will change that.
  • Like beating a second hand smoked horse. This was right before Laramie. I don't follow.
Playlist: U2, Maria McKee, James, Soul Aslyum, Boomtowns Rats, Billy Bragg, Simply Red, Sade

2 comments:

  1. Despite the long sitting time... I have to admit I'm very jealous of your adventure. Maybe after my next deployment I'll jump in a car and drive around the US visiting folks and obscure destinations! Hope it's been as great a trip as you've made it sound!! -CAROLINE

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has! I totally recommend it! I wish I knew yoga though. My back and neck are starting to hurt. Ah well, tomorrow is the last day.

    ReplyDelete