Friday, March 13, 2009

Building a home

Buenos Dias! Not a 100% rested this a.m. as the dogs were active last night making sure their bark was fully functioning!

Yesterday was another great day. We started the work day with some great coffee from Felix's plantation. I look forward to purchasing more next week. My day included an entire day of construction. Working construction in the hot sun all morning is not something this white collar gringo is used to doing. However, I used tools such as a saws all (corrected per Chris). I think that is correct. I made Chris repeat it three times until he said, "it is the English word." All the same! Foreign to me! There is something quite exciting about power tools! I drilled locks for the doors and windows and put on handles as well. Moving wall panels and putting them up were included in the morning activities. I was pooped. After lunch we heard from the Medical Director. What an amazing man. He is a retired Pathologist from the Mayo Clinic:however, is originally from Guatamala. He went to Mayo after medical school in Guatemala. The health challenges this country faces are immense. Too great for description in this blog.

The p.m. was a lot less strenous....the house was finished off including the roof. Eduardo impressed us all with his roofing ability. He worked hard with Pablo, Felix, unknown name, and Frans putting up the roof as Carolyn, Maxxe, and I handed up sheets of metal.

Overall, what an amazing day to work so hard and actually see the fruits of your labor. We had started our morning with nothing but a concrete slab and left behind a smiling family with finished home at 5 p.m.
We ended the evening with an amazing meal of chuchitos and a much needed rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment