Thursday, March 19, 2009

Coming to a close

Well, our trip is coming to a c lose. We left Tuesday afternoon for New Hope and returned last night. Immediately upon our return we had a rousing game of soccer. I have never played before, but the Guatemalans were gracious (always smiling) and if they said anything about my lack of skill, I couldn't understand them.

Today is our last day so I doubt I will post to this again until I return to the States. Although, I have spent the last week not feeling at all well, I am sad to leave today as it is has truly been a life altering experience. I think this is true for all of us. It is going to be a challenge to go back to being lost in the bustle of American life. I took this quote from the book, When Necessary Use Words. "The U.S. requires an attention to where you aren't, in the Zen sense, while Guatemala requires an attention to where you are."

Ok, so now an update. On Tuesday morning Carolyn and I went with Chicho to build a cement block stove for Marie Antonia & Pedro Zamara Lopez. It seemed I was more in the way than a help, but enjoyed the experience and meeting the family. Pedro bakes bread to sell in a brick oven that he made himself. They have a very nice pila (washbasin) that Pedro built himself, for which he spends three hours a day hauling water. He does the same every other day hauling wood for the family. Carolyn and I layed the first of the cement blocks then Chicho took over and layed the second layer in half our time. Ah well! We only had been there a short time when Dona Maria was questioning Chicho about how to get a more sanitary latrine. Her desire to improve her living situation was apparent. They have been living in their Common Hope built home for approximately five months. Maria said Charlie was quite the tease, but a very good man. I do think Common Hope is going to be lost without Charlie when he departs in a few weeks to new adventures. I am not sure I have said much about him, but I would agree with Maria. What he has done with construction since he has been here has been much from what I can tell from my 10 days here. He has that ability/flexibility to work with what he has versus trying to change it. One of these things is that 12 foot boards may be cut to 11 feet or perhaps 13, but rarely an exact 12 feet. And, they are typically warped.

As I began at the start, it is hard to have the knowledge of what families do to survive and to go back to the States where people complain of the work they do have and focus on things that seem only to increase one's ego. I believe most of us in the States have the luxury to be discontent because we are not focusing on survival. It is interesting to contemplate.

Well, more of our New Hope experience and last day upon my return.

No comments:

Post a Comment