Friday, March 13, 2009

No wood for you!

My day started in the day care. The children were so warm and friendly. One little girl, Dulce, asked me to sit down, sientate, then proceeded to help me out with my Spanish by explaining they were eating (comer) by demonstrating then there were a few other things I didn't understand. At playtime I got a lot of "pujar (push) señora." Eduardo showed up around 11 and the children climbed him like a climbing wall. All very cute. And, as I know I have said a hundred times before, I need to learn this language. I feel my connections would be richer if I could communicate, if only a little.

In the p.m. we drove to Jocotenango (I think) to get more wood. However, due to the upcoming processional on Sunday the streets were closed so the wood was not delivered. This is not atypical in Guatemala. The key word here is flexibility! So we went for ice cream in Antigua instead. We then headed back for more power tool use! This time the goal was to get the corrosion and rust off steal beams.

2 comments:

  1. So cute that the kids tried to help you out with your Spanish :)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was sooooooooo sweet. Dulce means sweet.

    ReplyDelete