Thursday, March 12, 2009

Construction: manual and virtual

I finished today in a much more relaxed state than before lunch. Debbie, Eduardo, and I were tasked with constructing a house for a local family. The prefabricated walls made the construction much easier, but it was still quite a laborious operation; it has been a while since I've spent time out in the sun doing carpentry.

Luckily for me, I was saved from an afternoon of the same type of labor, due to a need for my computer skills. Database security and the diagnosis of application failures are what I am now tasked with doing, hopefully before we depart this beautiful location. I was a little worried about the other team members having to finish off the day in the afternoon heat doing the strenuous work with which we began the day, but upon returning they explained that the afternoon work was lighter.

I must say that a day filled with manual labor as well as my usual labor was a welcome change of pace. I've been interested for some time in mixing the physical with the mental; it seems like a waste to have to "workout" at a gym or pound pavement on a road. Why not spend half a day making something that helps people?

No comments:

Post a Comment