Friday, March 6, 2009

Vision Team 2009!

Maxxe Sternbaum: I grew up in Los Angeles, CA moved to NYC at 18 to attend NYU Undergraduate. I graduated with a BA in philosophy just this past September and am currently working on graduate school applications for a similar path of study. I studied abroad twice as an undergraduate, Paris and Buenos Aires, where I developed a serious affinity for travel. I participated in two Habitat for Humanity trips (India and New Orleans) where I developed a passion for voluntourism. I became particularly interested in Guatemala after I read I, Rigoberta Menchú and am looking forward to absorbing Guatemala in its entirety. I love hiking, travel, language, reading, and food!

Carolyn Nathan

I am a native Californian, now living in Paso Robles, CA -- mid way between SF and LA. I am working as a Health Educator/Registered Dietitian for our county, providing contract work for county employees in their Wellness Program and covering perdiem shifts at 2 local hospitals. I also maintain a private practice, specializing in home visits for weight management and personal training.
I enjoy being active -- bike riding, walking my dog (a 75 lb. Golden Retriever!), snow skiing, strength training, yoga and gardening.
I am married to a professional wine maker who works at a local winery and we have 2 grown children (one lives in Calif, the other married and living in Buenos Aires, Argentina).
I chose to venture to Guatemala to expose myself to different cultural settings and am interested in helping others and experiencing personal growth through learning from others. I have been to other countries throughout South America and Europe, but usually as a tourist. I speak Spanish and could always improve in my language skills. I expect that actually working and living in a village will expose me to the medical and social challenges of local residents. I look forward to working with the local children and adults as part of a team with Common Hope.

Eduardo Huarte Sobrino: I'm a Spanish guy who has been working at Dartmouth for the last 2 1/2 years. So I guess my better "skill" will be a Spanish speaker. I wanted to go to Guatemala for a long time, so when I saw the Common Hope flier, I didn't hesitate. I really hope this way of travel will allow me to have a real interaction with the people/culture and problems of Central America, which is something you don't experience at resorts. So I'm looking forward to be there!

Chris Hoffman

I'm from Western New York, where I basked in a diverse environment not! I am looking to get a better sense of what other cultures are really like during this trip, to inform my often lofty thoughts about how to help those less fortunate. I am a computer programmer by trade, but fancy myself something of a musician, and also enjoy biking, running, and hiking.



Debbie Duncan (Team Leader)

I am a west coast native who ended up on the east coast by stumbling down the rabbit hole chasing the rabbit.
I am currently enroll
ed in a Masters Program focusing on International Management. I enjoy hiking, biking, dabbling in photography, attempting to dance, and listening to music. Folk is my favorite! Oh yeah, and by day I am a Practice Manager at Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Center.
I first learned of Common Hope at a fair in Boston. I then had the good fortune of visiting the Antigua site, Familias de Esperanza, in February 2008. I was moved by my experience. The people of Central America melted my heart. I was also impressed by the Common Hope mission, which aligns with my belief that the only way to create sustainable change is to empower people to help themselves. I saw first hand Common Hope is one of those rare organizations that actually carry out the mission.
In an attempt to make a good noise in this life I decided to organize a group to go back to Guatemala to volunteer. I feel fortunate to have found five volunteers (now four) who are willing to give their time and money to enrich their lives as well as the lives of those in Guatemala.

No comments:

Post a Comment